View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #104
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
So if a fencing contractor came over to your place and installed a fence without consulting you first and sent you a bill after, then you owe him some money? Hells no. That guy can pound sand.
There's a huge difference between your neighbour doing something to improve your property value, and a contractor coming by. And often good neighbours will do things to help the other without being asked. Just last week I "fixed" my neighbour's issue of his downspout draining towards my basement window; and like the OP's neighbour I casually mentioned it once to him before I did anything. (I count the comment of the fence post holes being dug as a casual conversation.) When I was done my neighbour (because he's a good guy) asked how much he owed for materials. Me also being a good guy I said $0.

Building a fence without asking your neighbour first is about a 4 on the 1-10 "jerk scale" IMHO. But then refusing to pay a dime ranks a 6. If materials were $1000 and the OP offerred $300-400 that would have likely stopped any further escallation, and made the OP the good guy here.

But for me the big thing here is the OP should have said something like "Oh, I didn't know you wanted to build a fence. I was going to wait for my work to pick up before adding any more expenses" when the post holes were being dug. Just prior to the fence going up he knew it was going up on his property line.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote