View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #1174
kekkone
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Leach and Reinhart last year, Gaudreau and Arnold this year, nice to see prospects getting taste of winning before they join organization which has lost it's winning touch. Gaudreau and Arnold both played well in both games. Arnold was very consistent doing his job defence-first and displaying desired work ethic every shift. First line center, first PP unit, first PK unit, he handled it all. Skating didn't look as bad as I remembered but it's a weakness and propably will be that way because of his thick and short legs that doesn't allow him much foot speed. Decision making is a work in progress. It was an issue in WJC and it didn't look convincing at times in Frozen Four. On the other hand he's got great results in both and especially during whole NCAA season. Good results, one of the top players in championship team as a sophomore and room to improve, that sounds better, even convincing. I'm not sold on his pro potential due to his inadequate decision making but these kids should be judged by what they have accomplished because no one knows what future brings. We can only guess, and admitting yourself you can only guess, not know, that's what scouting is all about. Arnold is doing great for a 4th round pick and his flaws are workable.

I think it's important Gaudreau already took big steps and stepped into a big role. You look at successful smallish skill players around NHL and notice most of them have stepped rather easily right into any league they have pursued. It comes down to talent to adjust. A 5'6, 5'7, 5'8 player can't play the same way bigger players do. They have to find their own way firstly to survive from hits and secondly to make themselves useful for team. Smallish skill players can only excel in offensive game in the NHL and pursuing for NHL career is what all prospects are supposed to work on. For Gaudreau step from USHL to NCAA was the first test if he has that kind of talent to adjust; to have smarts and desired attitude to firmly work on the right things to be successful right away from the start. He has done just that and has been able to concentrate to work on his primary weapons from the start in one of the best programs in North America.

Gaudreau will have lots of barriers on his road to NHL and for smallish guy barriers are always more difficult to go over. He has talent, he is on the right track now and he needs to continue working on the right things. Watching St.Louis, Ennis, Desharnais, learning how they play, what's their identity which makes them successful. In my opinion the main thing that prevents smallish players making it to the big league is that they don't find their own identity to be successful. Not the size factor. Of course lack of size makes it a lot harder, there's like 5 5'8 or smaller players in the league right now, but they all have certain playing style which has made them deserve their stay. If there's at least one small player in the league then size can't be the only factor why another small player couldn't make it. Hockey sense is the decisive factor in my opinion. Does Gaudreau have enought of it?

I can only hope.