View Single Post
Old 07-28-2017, 11:56 AM   #2133
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Don't really see any room for Jagr/Iginla at all unless some serious injuries hit.

Treliving has talked about a lot of improvements coming from within. I think management and the coaching staff think there is more to come from players such as Ferland, Tkachuk, Bennett, Lazar, Jankowski, Foo and even Brouwer but in particular the first three I've mentioned. I think the fact we haven't seen a signing of a guy like Jagr shows a lot of of faith in guys like Ferland, Tkachuk and Bennett. If you really believe those guys are 2nd or even 1st line players some point in the future does it really make sense to block their ice time with an aging vet who isn't getting any faster?

Personally I'd rather hand the ice time and the reins to our young talent and see if they can run with it. It's the right time for guys like Bennett, Ferland and Tkachuk to turn the corner and become real forces on this team IMO. If you believe in them as well I don't see why we'd be hoping for a Jagr or Iginla. I would've taken Jagr last year instead of Brouwer. But now everyone's a year older and frankly I'd rather the ice time go to our young core.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Bennett-Brouwer
Frolik-Backlund-Versteeg/Lazar/Foo

We have enough players for the top 3 lines including multiple young guys who can fill in or are on the cusp in Lazar, Foo, Jankowski and potentially even guys like Poirier and Klimchuk later. I see no need to add another top two winger right now. If mid season we sustain injuries and we're looking like a real contender then adding a scoring winger at the trade deadline is always a real possibility.

Let's see what Bennett, Tkachuk and Ferland have. Bennett and Tkachuk were drafted with 1st line upside and IMO Ferland can play the complimentary role on a scoring line. We have the answers within we just need them to continue to develop and improve. Only way I see us adding a big name winger before the season is if we sustain a couple long term injuries in training camp. I just don't see Jagr being a fit anymore and Iginla clearly isn't a fit IMO.

Hopefully Sam is kept away from Brouwer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Par For This Useful Post: