Thread: ACL surgery?
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #76
ThePrince
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
How is your pain. People who had surgery before me said worst pain of there life. I was worried but had absolutely zero pain. My friend had surgery two weeks later with the same doctor and had zero pain too
Really depends on the type of graft they use for your knee. The patellar tendon will be the most painful because they are taking bone along with the tendon so that the healing is bone-to-bone. In contrast, with the hamstring graft, they only take the tendon, so it's less painful, but you have tendon-to-bone healing which many surgeons argue is not as strong.

I'll tell you my story: Tore my right knee up and had and ACL-R with the hamstring tendon (if you're getting this, I suggest finding another surgeon. You might have to wait longer, but it's worth it in the long run as it's my opinion that the patellar tendon is the superior graft choice) and I was given T3's as my painkiller, but was apparently allergic to those as I started vomiting pretty violently and had to call an ambulance. Fast forward 11 months and I tear up my right knee again. With the bad experience I had with the hamstring graft, I really didn't want to risk them taking more of my own tissue, so I elected to go with the patellar tendon allograft (from a cadaver). Had basically zero pain because they're not removing any of your actual tissue, and didn't need painkillers except for ibuprofen for the swelling. So, like I said, it really depends on the graft type.
ThePrince is offline   Reply With Quote