View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #47
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
I'm not sure where to begin here.

First, it is possible to like a variety of different things at different times. Sometimes I like to watch a speedy league game, or a sevens game. Sometimes I like to watch a trench warfare style union game. It is possible to like things that are very different.

Second, you've already backtracked from it but the whole 'league is on life support' comment is garbage and the idea that it's just languishing around waiting to die is equally garbage. I spent a considerable amount of time in Australia and still talk to people down there pretty regularly and League far outpaces Union in general popularity in NSW, which isn't exactly a small population (and thanks for the education on the WC, I already acknowledge the international component of the game in my response). I never claimed it had global popularity, in fact I did the opposite. Why you're trying to argue points I didn't make is beyond me. The NRL continues to be very successful (and btw, they've recently added a team) and is actually the worlds most viewed and attended rugby competition, league or union.

People who don't follow it don't know much about it? You realize the same can be said for Union correct? Go ask the average non rugby fan about union and see what you get, saying 'All Blacks' or 'Haka' doesn't mean they know anything about it. Hell, the same could be said for hockey. Generally people who don't follow something don't know much about it.

As for players switching codes, it's nowhere near as one way as you make it out to be. Numerous players have gone back and forth, which is to be expected when you're dealing with games that share a number of elements and players that grew up playing both. Neither sport is likely to make you rich (average salary in NRL is a bit under $200k vs. around $230k for Super 14 in 2010).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...o_rugby_league

Honestly it just pisses me off when people slag on League unjustly. You don't like the game, that's great, but to pretty much make things up to slag on it is just dumb.

You have yet to provide me with one high profile player that has gone from Union to League (SBW is started out in league). That link is full of players that made the move when Union was not professional. I can't think of many high profile player (S14, T14, Super Rugby Player) that has made the move.

This discussion is based on aimless thoughts:

Quote:
you rarely see rucks/scrums/mauls that result in the ball being turned over through anything but a penalty, at least at the top levels.

^^^^that statement is incorrect. You see turnovers all the time.

I would argue the speed of the ball in play is equal to if not greater than league. For example, I watched a Super League game on Sunday afternoon. A break was made, and cover tackle came across. The ball was unplayable becuase the defender was ontop of the player not allowing him to get up to play the ball. The support can only just stand and watch. In union you clear the player out and make the bal playable, prior to the defensive line setting up.

League is bosh bosh bosh.

Quote:
Neither sport is likely to make you rich (average salary in NRL is a bit under $200k vs. around $230k for Super 14 in 2010).

Where are those numbers from?

And one file argument against League..............John Hopoate.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote