View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 12:17 PM   #212
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Too risky IMO. Who's trading a key young player for draft picks? Almost no one. Why would anyone trade a really good young player for picks? I mean we saw it with the Hamilton deal but those types of trades happen almost never. Would we trade Bennett, Tkachuk, Monahan or Gaudreau for picks? No. Would we trade Brodie or Hamilton for picks? No. Try to imagine what team what trade a good young potential franchise player for picks? Pretty hard to imagine isn't it? Players are typically traded for picks solely because they are cap dumps and good young potential franchise players are often cheaper and rarely traded as cap dumps.

They HAVE to get the right piece back in the actual Duchene deal. You cannot bank on trading picks for young players. You can trade picks for veterans but that's not the type of player they need back.

They need a Johansen for Jones type deal basically. A swap of two good young players.
No one said it would be easy. If it were easy it would already be done. You're right, these young players for picks deals rarely happen. Hamilton and to a lesser extent Hamonic are front of mind to Flames fans like me. So it's doesn't seem impossible. Of course the Flames wouldn't trade any of those players at this point. These teams are pretty close to opposite ends of the spectrum right now. If the Flames had the season that the Avs just had we may very well be considering equally drastic moves.

COL insisting on the returning asset being younger makes it tougher. One deal I keep thinking of is a Dushene for Trouba deal. JETS have said they want a D man returning though. So maybe the deal needs to be bigger than just a one for one?
Insufficient Funds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Insufficient Funds For This Useful Post: