View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 10:20 AM   #1220
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofjoe View Post
Unfortunately, not a very ideal setup for sound.

What do you primarily watch movies, sports? Is music important?
It's not the greatest, but that little nook is exactly, exactly the right size for that TV. I've been watching Iron Fist on it the last 2 nights and it's great. The TV itself actually has six speakers on it and for a TV, it's amazingly good - which is to say, it's still not good at all in the grand scheme of things, but it's certainly usable for the moment.

I primarily watch netflix, movies, and hockey (and the occasional football game), and I've currently got the PS4 hooked up to it so for the moment this is where I'm playing video games. Primarily though, it's for TV and movies. Music isn't at all important. I listen to music through headphones, and if I were playing music for guests (say, if I had people over and we weren't watching TV) it would be upstairs. This setup is in the basement.
Quote:
Do you have a particular goal?
As I said in the earlier post, if I have a goal, it's to get good sound such that if I have people over and we all hang out on the sectional watching a movie or a hockey game, the sound system will be good enough to enjoy the whole experience. It does not need to be a tour de force in sound stage brilliance or knock anyone's socks off. As you say, the room isn't set up for that, and I don't want to break the bank, because I just bought this place and I've just spent a ludicrous amount of money on furniture. Plus, it's always seemed to me that home theatre sound is an area where the returns diminish incredibly quickly - hence my comment about getting 80% of the top-end result for 20% of the price.
Quote:
Is there a wall to the left of the stairs??
There is a wall to the left of the stairs, but I don't think I'd want to try to mount a speaker there. The whole wall behind the TV has the furnace room behind it, so I can easily do literally whatever I want there. Mounting front left and right speakers on the corners next to the TV is do-able. I'm not sure that fishing cable through the ceiling to get the rears to the back of the room is, because all the ducts are there.

I was looking at this package. https://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-sb4551-d5/review/ Yes, it's a soundbar, but my other Vizio soundbar (S5451) is pretty good, and this would prevent me from having to do much work... the soundbar could just sit on the cabinet in front of the TV, the wireless sub under the sectional, and the rear speakers on the walls as they're tiny enough that mounting them on the wall behind the sectional would be easy and involve minimal visible wires (since they connect to the subwoofer).

The only question I have there is, isn't it going to totally muffle the subwoofer having it under the couch? They say that's what it's built for, but do you need a really tall couch to pull this off? Obviously it's downward driving, but the floor is carpet. Is that going to be an issue? I could put it next to the couch under a side table or something, but then all my bass is coming from one side of where I'm sitting.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 03-22-2017 at 10:26 AM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote