View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017, 12:44 PM   #11
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

You know what is still hugely important?

The reputation of the institution you graduate from and I don't see that going away any time soon.

Really depends on the field you want to work in but I wouldn't assume that a business degree from U of C or MRU or Technical degree from SAIT will be treated similarly to an equivalent degree from an online program by the HR person going over your resume.

The one perk of online programs is that you can complete them while working full time (if you're really motivated). So if you can get an entry level job in your field and gain experience while finishing your degree then you might have a leg up.

You cant discount that university prepares you for the social aspects of the workforce. Group projects are key and that is something you'd never experience in online programs. Things like how to work in a set schedule, sharing and responding to ideas with and from others, Networking, dividing workload... etc.

Now you can argue that the value of the degree has been diminished due to it becoming a necessity instead of something that makes you stand out. I'd totally agree with that and I'd probably tell my kids to explore all of their options before they choose their career path as some trades or technical certifications are more valuable than a business or engineering degree these days and simply going to University is definitely not the best way to maximize earning potential. But in terms of Online Schooling vs. University I think the gap there is still massive if you're comparing two candidates with no experience, even if they both learn the same thing.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post: