Thread: decks
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2005, 02:57 PM   #4
Eagle Eye
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Tron_fdc@Jul 19 2005, 12:26 PM
Decks are easy. Dig post holes at least 3 feet down (especially if you're going over 1 story in height), cement them in, put up a main support beam, install hangers for your joists, add decking and railing and voila! instant party spot. Home Depot sells books (kinda pricey) but the course might be just as helpful.

Timber Town has really good lumber (avoid home depot, they're more expensive). Green Tree is the cheapest in the city for pressure treated, but if you're not there picking out your lumber you'll get all kinds of warped crap.

Use galvanized screws on your decking.

Get a permit if you ever intend on selling your house.

Check the regulations on the rail height and spacing width.

Don't drink while you put it up. The one piece of advice I shoulda followed.
All good points, except for the part about needing a permit. I have never heard that you need a permit in order to sell your house after (I just did it). The only time that you need a permit is if your deck is a certain height (I think).

Some other pointers

Buy pressure treated or cedar (for wood decks) as they will last the longest.

Lay your decking accross the joists (stagger like bricks if the width is longer than your longest board) and don't cut to size before, just trim the edges off with a circular saw after.

When you are building your railings don't attach the spindles directly to the top of your decking, attach them to a 2x4 that is raised a couple of inches off the deck. This helps in the winter when you want to shovel snow off the deck.
Eagle Eye is offline   Reply With Quote