View Single Post
Old 03-10-2024, 05:04 PM   #1983
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't know if its even possible anymore, there are two types of spending and Canada needs a major influx of both capital and budget spending.

The F-35 can be a game changer for using a small air force to cover a large country. But you almost have to build your military around this type of technology.

I agree with the above, the airforce and navy are key and crucial, especially in terms of defending the border. The army is key if you want to maintain your good standing with the States and with NATO.

But I think in broad strokes.

Navy, I think there are major problems with the selection and construction of the multirole frigates that we're building. The Aussies have already come out with safety issues and the fact that these boats are heavy and not as fast as advertised.

I think submarines are crucial to Canada, they are the ultimate force multiplier, defender of areas of the ocean and intelligence gathering tools. But we need to start looking at new subs, the current Victoria class boats are too unreliable and obsolete and we can't waste money on restoring them.

I think Canada also needs to focus on air defense, there's a reason why the Russians and Chinese are focusing on the next generation of hypersonic missiles, we need to be able to defend Canada and ships and military assets need to protect themselves.

Also cyber is its own branch of military. Again there's a reason why they are concentrating and investing heavily on cyber warfare. With a goal of hitting some keyboard and stealing money, or over loading a power plant, of shutting down sensor platforms. We have to do a better job of cyber defense and I believe that has to fall to the military.

Yes Ground forces are sucking the hind tit right now. If war happens and Canada deploys troops into a modern combat theatre with our level of training, our quality of personal and leadership and our equipment, we will suffer massive losses on day one.

But we can't afford to spend money on everything at once. We have to focus.

The F-35 is a great piece of the road map with sensor fusion and intelligence sharing through the air, we want to build a military that links everything together. For example what the F-35 see's everything see's.

I think if we had forward vision, we need to focus on a modern networked and linked military.

But do we have the will? Nope. Do we have people that are eager to join a military that Canadians and their government clearly don't give a #### about? Nope.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: