View Single Post
Old 06-25-2017, 04:49 PM   #22
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
Interesting, sounds like you've altered your tone a bit from 2014.

If you take a step back, do you honestly think this made a drastic positive change in your life? Are you still involved with them?

Where does the pressure to recruit non-landmarkers come from, is there a financial incentive or is it purely just a urge to "spread the good news"?
I think my tone has changed a bit since then, but I wouldn't speak negatively of it. I spent a few months volunteering around their office in Vancouver and it really is filled with a lot of genuine people who just want to help others with. I have stepped away from it, but not for any negative reasons.

I also think it's easy to fall into the trap that you can't help yourself or others if you're not connected to that community or taking courses. I did see many people become dependent on the seminar based courses.

There isn't any financial incentive to get people to join. It really is a great program which sometimes offers a big wake call. I was quite young when my company sent me to do the course (21) and I think the older you are and the more life experiences you have, a course like that would affect you more just because of all the things you've dealt with.

I do think it's a little manipulative how the course leaders use the attendees to sell the program, but a lot of why people do it does come from the fact that it helped them and they want that for people they care about. I never pushed anyone in my life to do it because it made me very uncomfortable.

In terms of my personal experience, it didn't offer any drastic and immediate changes in my life. I never had the "lightbulb moment" they sell, however it did allow me to have the courage to have a real honest conversation with my Dad for the first time ever. And it did help me get a real clear idea of what personal responsibility looks like. I like to think the lessons I learned help slowly shaped many aspects of the man I've become.

I think as long as you go into it willing to learn, you can take a lot away from it. And it's usually not the instructor you're learning from, but the people sitting beside you.