View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 01:00 PM   #3
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I've been thinking about getting into amateur astronomy for a while now, I've always had a fascination with space and stars. I'm finally going to take the plunge this year and buy a legitimate telescope and start getting into this.

So, does anybody have any suggestions for someone with literally no experience? I want to get something of decent quality, but also not spend a fortune either. Something easy to set up and operate, that I'll be able to see some really cool stuff through. There's so many different types on Amazon, it's hard to know where to start!

CP always seems to have some expert hobbyists in just about every category, so what's your best advice for starting out?
I've never done any amateur astronomy, but the subject does interest me.
Phil Plait once gave what I think is probably the best advice I've ever seen to this exact question. Basically he said instead of buying a telescope right away, instead you should buy a good pair of binoculars. The main reason for this is that it's usually cheaper, you can still find a lot of cool things, it's easier to get started, and in the event you realize you don't like standing outside in the cold at night, you'll still have something you can use for some other purpose.