View Single Post
Old 08-19-2015, 11:10 PM   #44
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I put myself through University teaching outdoor education. I did white water rafting, kayaking, canoeing, backpacking, ski touring, expeditions and certified instructors. I often ended up managing the organization providing the programs. At my peak, I was a part-time sessional at the U of C. I loved being outside, I loved the weather, I loved meeting people but after 12 years, sleeping on a rock was starting to lose its allure. I felt I needed something for the future.

I chased after my commercial pilot license. I didn’t want jets. I wanted to see the ground. I really liked the thought of teaching people to fly (it’s also experiential education like outdoor ed). My timing sucked as all the pilot jobs disappeared. I couldn’t easily leave obligations in Calgary to start-out at some remote airport for a handful of flying hours a week(My friends who had a spouse to support them were the only ones able to toughen out those low-paying entry jobs).

With a substantial student loan completely spent on flying, I found a blue-collar job driving paratransit. I loved meeting the people, I loved the pay, I loved the challenge of finding new neighborhoods (I tried a stint in the office as a relief scheduler – big mistake). After several years, I found my tolerance to idiot drivers was slipping away. I was going to road rage someone. I needed a change. Student loan repaid and a little saved, I tried to go back to flying.

Now I’m in an upturn in the flying industry. The airlines are stopping them up. I need an instructor with a specific rating to renew my flight instructor certification. I’m fixing restaurant dishwashers part-time (it had flexible hours. A friend of a friend approaches me for a nonprofit in the rural region. They do a rural paratransit/community bus and would like to replace their executive director. I turn them down because I want to fly.

A month later they called back. Their Executive Director has now walked out. I again say “no” because I can start my instructor rating renewal in four months. They ask if I could help out for three months… part-time… just while they find someone else. I accept.

I took that “part-time job” 15 years ago (I haven’t flown in 10 years). These days, I’m feeling the strain but the puzzle still fascinates me. It’s been a ton of work, lousy pay high stress but it’s been interesting. Really interesting. The Board of Directors gave me an objective and a clean slate to achieve it. I spent 15 years tackling the puzzle. The organization is now three times larger. We got industry award for leadership last year. I never would have gotten a similar opportunity to build something from almost nothing. I still feel the challenge to figure out the puzzle. Two more years and this organization could be considered “stable.” Maybe then I can try something different. In the meantime I want to see this through.

I recently saw a cartoon depicting Charlie Brown and Snoopy sitting together on a dock -- looking out on the lake. The caption says “my life has not turned out the way I planned... but I’m okay with that”

Last edited by para transit fellow; 08-19-2015 at 11:14 PM. Reason: weird spacing...
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to para transit fellow For This Useful Post: