View Single Post
Old 07-25-2017, 02:12 PM   #24
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
so you've recently gone to the vet and he didn't have a recurrence of the crystallization problem?

what's the diet of your cat? I have a cat that also has a history of the crystallizing urine.
over time we went from the special food for that issue to a mix of regular and the special stuff.

once we saw the vet again and had the issue cleared up, we went 100% with C/D health for urinary care. and we haven't had a problem since.
The most recent visit was for a bladder infection. We already accept that he will be susceptible to these kinds of issues, so we take extra precautions regarding cleanliness and food.

He's also on a C/D diet, and has been since the first occurrence of the crystals. We've been instructed to not give him any sort of regular food or treats (like Temptations).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
Usually it is a cat trying to tell you it's not well. When my cat had a bladder infection she started peeing in the house where I would see it, which is the only reason I noticed the blood in her urine.

I would be surprised that there isn't something physical going on.
It's certainly what sparked the behaviour. Since he did it before when he was ill, we took him in immediately and they treated him for the bladder infection and slight build-up of crystals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
still seems like a recurrence of the crystalization of the urine. (but I'm sure the vet will tell you)
I'm guessing the cat is associating the litterbox with pain as it hurts to pee, so he's been avoiding the place where it makes him hurt. once the issues are cleared up, I bet he uses the litter box again.
He still uses the litter box plenty. It's just that he has developed a behaviour issue where he gets stressed or worked up and pisses in the same 3 or 4 spots in the living room.

He is certainly territorial, which exacerbates the issue. Whenever a stray or neighbor's cat wanders through the yard he gets worked up. He routinely tries to cover his food.

I just don't know how else to curb his stress. I've spoken with the vet this morning and the cat does not have diabetes. There are some other medication options that I will discuss with him further.

Trouble is I have some bleeding hearts in the house. I had to stop the last prescription because "the cat didn't like it", and I couldn't always be home to administer it myself. Guess I have to phrase that it gets done, or the cat has to go.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote