View Single Post
Old 07-06-2017, 12:20 AM   #65
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Nope that's fair feedback.

This offensive set is outside of my normal playbook. Normally our play calls are simple.

Usually the play calls are started with the formation, and then whether its pistol or under center.

Then on run plays its the back and what hole.

So for example

I formation under center 32 lead dive.

Or

Ace formation pistol 48 jet

Or if its a trips right run play something like

Ace formation right under center 21 dive.

For passing plays, same idea.

formation undercenter/pistol the quick means a three step drop with no play action then the four passing routes from left to right.

So a all 5's balance would be

Ace formation pistol quick 5555

If its trips right

Ace formation right quick pistol 5555.

If we're for example running a balanced ace with a tight end arrow. It would be

Ace formation pistol quick 5555 TE right.

Or a HB out left would be

Ace formation pistol quick 5555 hb left

It there's a play action element for example like a 3 back fake to the 3 hole

It would be

Ace formation pistol action 33 5555.

The kids seem to like that because they don't have to memorize plays, they have to know their position label and the line knows the holes.

The advantage of the option is that there are really only 4 plays that I would run.

But you're right the call is complex

Its formation, line assignment, under center or pistol, then the wide receiver assignments. Then the individual backs assignments. So

Triple Option Veer (undercenter of pistol) 87 TE Arrow, 4-3 37 option toss.

the formation call is apparent

Veer means that the line veers to the left (3 hole) the 87 are the X and Y receiver routes. the 4-3 means that the 4 back is the option back to the 3 hole. the 3 back toss motions to the 7 hole and the QB has already been taught the read progressions for this to work.

But you're right, it does need work.

The likely hood is that we're going to run our normal offense, because we can basically run about 50 easy plays with different formations, so it looks like 150 plays. We had a lot of success with that playbook last year. The kids really liked it as well.

There's a couple of teams that the veer option would really exploit what they're doing. That's the temptation.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 07-06-2017 at 12:22 AM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote