View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 08:54 PM   #39
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
"Boxing is dead/almost dead" comments in a thread about an MMA fighter choosing to get into a boxing ring for the first time ever professionally, so that he can earn more in one night than he would in his next ten years of MMA fights combined....hmmmmmm. Yeah boxing has a multitude of issues no doubt, and it's popularity isn't what it once was, but with this fight, Canelo-JCCJr, Canelo-GGG and Joshua-Klitchsko, that's four fights that will generate as much money as all MMA fights this year will combined, maybe even by twofold.

Boxing's problem is the best guys never fight each other because promoters (and fighters too) are too scared to expose guys to potential losses, Floyd being one of the prime examples of this. But when boxing does give us the best against the best (or sideshows like this), it dwarfs what MMA brings in financially. Boxing just needs a monopoly promotion like the UFC to have all the best fighters under one promotion, and matchmaking that actually gives us best on best.
You're not wrong, but it'll never be what it was in it's heyday and if it's not rising in popularity it's declining. When it comes to payday, who are boxing's stars nowadays? Klitchsko, Mayweather and probably GGG. And even though GGG is probably the best, I don't see him bringing in the fairweather fan. So boxing's real draws are at the end of their careers.

I'm not arguing that it will still draw that huge PPV number once every 3 years, but people are not watching it for the sport anymore. These type of events and the sideshow it is is what is selling it. The sport is honestly kinda dead. MMA plateaued as well and while it may waver up and down, I personally think over time physical contact sports like MMA and Boxing will get increasingly regulated (such as softer gloves, headgear, etc) and the sport will decline accordingly.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote