View Single Post
Old 07-08-2023, 08:25 PM   #656
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Don't follow NBA that closely to know this was coming, but the NBA Cup was announced, an in season league tournament like European soccer leagues have.

With "game management" already a problem for the NBA in trying to get its stars to play in games the last number of years, since it really ramped up with Leonard and the Raptors, this will only hurt that cause for both the regular season and or maybe this extra set of games, too.

$500k per player on the winning team is an attempted incentive, though top players like Curry make more than that in a single game.

But clearly the NBA looking at alternative revenue streams.
The games still count to the standings - except maybe the championship game for some reason? If that means those two teams play 83 games, I bet we see load management make a mockery out of the championship game.

And they've put in minimum gp requirements to qualify for rewards (and making All-NBA teams impacts the size of contract you can sign, so it will actually matter to most guys)

I think it needs more stakes than just cash, though. Since they have the play-in games now, I think you could guarantee the winner minimum of a 10 seed (without affecting draft odds) - unlikely a non-playoff team would ever win it, but would make it a bit more interesting for the Rockets and Hornets and Pistons fans.
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote