View Single Post
Old 02-13-2024, 02:56 PM   #34
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

1921-1922

Professional hockey comes to the prairies as the Western Canada Hockey League is formed. Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon and Regina were granted teams. The new league went after star players right away. Edmonton featured Hal Winkler in goal and Bullet Joe Simpson on defense. The Calgary Tigers had Mervyn "Red" Dutton and Herb Garner on defense. Saskatoon had Bill Cook who was one of the best wingers of his time, they also lured Rusty Crawford and Sammy Herbert from the NHL. REgina picked up Dick Irvin George Hay and Charles McVeigh.

The WCHA immediately challenged the NHL And PCHA for the Stanley Cup. Edmonton, Calgary and Regina were extremely competitive with Edmonton winning the regular season title. Saskatoon bombed on the ice and the stands and were eventually relocated to Moose Jaw (wait let me check my notes . . . . yup Moose Jaw)

The WCHA didn't last long. They played out of old and small and likely smelly arenas when hockey palaces were being built in major US cities like Pittsburgh and New York while Boston and Chicago were also putting plans together for mega stadiums. The WCHA also couldn't pay their stars like the teams in the east and most of the major stars were lured away.

Trivia
  • The NHL eliminates the split season schedule and creates a playoff against the two top teams.
  • Minor penalties go from 3 to 2 minutes and a 20 minute limit is put on overtime.
  • Montreal Canadians owner George Kennedy dies and leaves his team to his widow. She sells the team to Joe Cattarinich and Leo Dandurand for $10,000 (172,000 in today's dollar)
  • Sprague "The jerk) Cleghorn is reclaimed by the NHL, he is assigned to Hamilton and then traded to the Habs. Montreal sends Harry Murmmery, Amos Arbour and Cully Wilson to Hamilton.
  • On Jan 14 Sprague and Odie Cleghorn each score 4 goals against Hamilton.
  • Newsy Lalonde leaves the Canadians over a dispute with management. The NHL intervenes and mediates the dispute and Lalond returns after a 4 game absence.
  • Punch Broadbent scores goals in 16 straight games for the Senators setting a NHL record.
  • The Sens win the regular season title
  • The St Pats finish second and face Ottawa in a 2 game total goal series. The St Pats beat Ottawa in the first game and hang onto a 0-0 tie in the second game to win the NHL crown.
  • The PCHA institutes the penalty shot for players tripped on a breakaway.
  • Seattle wins the PCHA regular season title
  • Lester Patrick debuts in goal for Victoria. Lester was the team manager he suited up with their regular goalie Norm Fowler is suspended for brawling.
  • Vancouver beats Seattle in the PCHA playoffs then beat Regina to earn a Stanley Cup finals spot.
  • Toronto lead by Babe Dyes 11 playoff goals scores 4 goals in game 5 as the St Pats win their second Stanley Cup.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: