View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 04:55 PM   #1364
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's a large dose of perspective.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/11/w...?smid=tw-share
Quote:
In Tula Toli, Rajuma fought as hard as she could to hold onto her baby, Muhammad Sadeque, about 18 months old. But one soldier grabbed her hands, another grabbed her body, and another slugged her in the face with a club. A jagged scar now runs along her jaw. The child was lifted away from her, his legs wiggling in the air. “They threw my baby into a fire — they just flung him,” she said.

Rajuma said two soldiers then pulled her into a house, tore off her veil and dress and raped her. She said that her two sisters were raped and killed in the same room, and that in the next room, her mother and 10-year-old brother were shot. At some point, Rajuma thought she had died. She lost consciousness. When she woke, the soldiers were gone, but the house was on fire. She sprinted out naked, past her family’s bodies, past burning homes, and hid in a forest. Night fell, but she did not sleep. In the morning she found an old T-shirt to wear and kept running.

Many people in the refugee camps have been eerily stoic — seemingly traumatized past the ability to feel. In dozens of interviews with survivors who said their loved ones had been killed in front of them, not a single tear was shed. But as she reached the end of her horrible testimony, Rajuma broke down.

“I can’t explain how hard it hurts,” she said, tears rolling off her cheeks, “to no longer hear my son call me ma.”
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote