View Single Post
Old 05-05-2016, 10:04 AM   #14
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've butted heads on this subject before, but I can't disagree with anything you've said here. Diet is the biggest thing to overcome, you will never out-exercise a bad diet. Keto/low-carb was transformative for me, and primarily because it forced me to learn about macronutrients, satiety of food, etc.

I don't always eat low-carb now, but I'm comfortable with that dietary lifestyle and can use it for extended periods of time very effectively... in fact, I actually prefer it. I can say with certainty that I will forever have control over my weight, knowing what I know now, which is why I'm a huge proponent of better education on this subject. Health classes when I was in school were not terribly well equipped for this.

I also don't like the lap-band and gastric bypass procedures. They aren't fixing the cause. They make you feel full, but from physical volume of food. Different foods have different caloric densities. A kilogram of broccoli (depending on preparation) will give you ~340 calories (and that's a lot of friggin' broccoli), but only 100 g of cheese will give you ~403 calories. Those procedures (obviously) aren't capable of discerning high calorie foods from low calorie foods.