View Single Post
Old 05-02-2016, 03:13 PM   #10
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
Indeed, unfortunately many of us gain it. Likely why you typically want to lose it in a slower more controlled manner so the metabolism drop isn't so severe (my guess).

Also why one should simply support people who are trying to drop pounds (or keep them off) no matter what the end result is. It isn't about willpower for many many many people.

I struggle mightily with my weight and the only time I can honestly even try to keep it off for any amount of time involves me measuring my weight every day or two and honestly usually being hungry. The hunger rarely goes away.
Hopefully the science will continue to evolve and better treatments can be developed. Having a metabolism where you burn 800 calories less a day than normal and are always hungry would suck.

I've had two people close me dramatically lose weight (100+ pounds). One did it via surgery and the other by getting addicted to running. Fortunately they both have been able to keep it off. Personally I have a 3-year 25 lb cycle where I slowly gain the weight over three years, diet/exercise hard to lose it over a few months, then repeat. In an ideal world I’d drop 35 lbs and keep it off, but lately I’ve had some personal set-backs that have complicated things; wife/baby in hospital for 4 months, broken leg, rediscovering Doritos, etc.