View Single Post
Old 07-23-2015, 09:06 AM   #18
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

http://echlthunder.com/news/?article_id=308

Quote:
The Adirondack Thunder, proud ECHL affiliate of the Calgary Flames, announced Cail MacLean as the first head coach in franchise history today.

"This is a special opportunity and I am eager to join President Brian Petrovek and the rest of the Thunder team in building a first-class ECHL organization,” MacLean said. “I would like to thank Brad Pascall and the Calgary Flames organization for the trust they have placed in me. I am honored to help continue the excellent tradition of professional hockey in the Adirondack region and our family is excited to become part of the Glens Falls community."

MacLean, 38, joins the Thunder with two years of head coaching experience at the ECHL level, having previously led the South Carolina Stingrays to a 78-48-18 record and two playoff appearances over two seasons from 2009-2011. MacLean’s tenure included a 41 win season in 2009-10, where the Stingrays’ 94 points were tied for the second most in the league. MacLean was named the Head Coach of the American Conference at the 2010 ECHL All-Star Game and finished as the runner up for the John Brophy Award as the ECHL’s Coach of the Year. The Stingrays ranked amongst the Top Five in the ECHL in fewest goals against in both of his seasons behind the bench and saw 26 players recalled to the AHL. MacLean also spent the 2008-09 season as an Assistant Coach with the Stingrays, where he helped lead his team to the 2009 Kelly Cup Championship.

The Middleton, Nova Scotia native also has prior ties to the Calgary Flames organization, with two seasons spent as an Assistant Coach with the AHL’s Abbotsford Heat from 2011-2013. As a member of Troy Ward’s staff, MacLean helped guide the Heat to a 76-58-7-11 record, including participation in the second round of the 2012 Calder Cup Playoffs. Under MacLean’s tutelage, the Heat ranked sixth in goals against in both 2011-12 and 2012-13. With Abbotsford, MacLean worked with current Calgary Flames T.J. Brodie, Lance Bouma, Paul Byron and Michael Ferland.

“Cail brings a good mix of coaching experience, championship pedigree, and a track record of player development that aligns well with our focus in the Calgary Flames organization,” Calgary Flames Assistant General Manager Brad Pascall said. “We feel Cail will be a terrific asset to the Adirondack franchise and will demand a high level of performance both on the ice and throughout the Glens Falls community.”
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote