View Single Post
Old 05-29-2017, 08:30 AM   #487
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
They could, but there's some good reasons why they don't.

Cold is insidious. It creeps in and saps energy and strength. To keep it up, they'd have to feed them regularly. And not just 'reward' challenges. Actual decent meals. And probably quite a few of them. Or they'd have no energy for any sort of challenges, and just sit around slowly freezing to death.

Additionally, they want people to look at (at least most of) the Survivors and find them generally attractive in some way. Hard to do that when the players are swaddled up in 10 layers of clothing.

While heat sucks, few folks are going to be in real trouble with it and you can generally see the problems coming a ways off. Most folks can find ways to cool down. If you are cold and have no energy to expend to heat up, you are boned.

Though, if you want what is basically "Survivor: Cold Sh**", but without the voting someone off....watch any of the "Life in Alaska!" style shows that seem to be popping up everywhere.
On top of that they'd probably get a lot of contestants that just wouldn't go. Or they would quit. While a million dollars is nice, competing for it on a tropical island with plenty of water and the ability to dive into the ocean to cool off is everything.

At a 30 below tribal council people would be diving over each other to be voted out, if it meant going back to a toasty warm Ponderosa instead of a freezing cold sleeping bag.

Also there are real and immediate health concerns that would create other problems. Frostbite, hypothermia to name a few.

And yeah, add in the segment of viewers that turn in to see the hot chicks in bikini's or studs in briefs, nobody is going to want to watch a bunch of people in 20 layers.

I would also probably add that there's a cost control element as well. If you put the show in Canada or the US the crew that hired to build everything and run the production would probably get paid a whole lot more then the poor bastards in the tropics who are probably happy getting paid in beeds and spiders.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote