View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 03:34 PM   #98
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
It has nothing to do with Calgary, sorry you got that impression. Its about the economics and the logistics.

How many games would we likely get? Would they be good games? Are we going to get Equatorial New Guinea vs. American Guam? I'm betting the good games go to Eastern Canada, the US and Mexico.

So the cost of renovating, securing McMahon (or whatever venue) and having real turf installed and everything else for a couple of World Cup games? I cant see it being financially viable.

A 3 host World Cup has never been done before and I dont feel its prudent to splash cash on some corrupt organization's pilot project.

If we had the venue that we were using already that would be one thing, but to bring an ageing facility up to scratch to host a couple of B-Grade World Cup games? I'd probably pass.

This is me disassociating my mind from my heart. I'd love nothing more than the World Cup to be played in Calgary, I just see the realities as less than palatable.
I was being sarcastic in my post. The only reason this city should be considered is that there is enough people to shell out big money for big events that would fill the stadium. In every other regard, it fails miserably. No suitable stadium, no pro team, little support for the game outside of the superclubs, no supporters culture, etc. I guess a lot of that isn't really important for World Cup, but Calgary is far behind Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, even Edmonton, in cities that would be suitable for hosting the game's biggest event.

Plus, a new 40000+ stadium would be a white elephant in my opinion. The Stampeders don't command that kind of capacity, and even if the rumoured Canadian Premier League club comes on board in the next few years, they have no use for a stadium of that size. Not only that, but the league model is heavily dependent on providing a good atmosphere via small, modular stadiums like the one being proposed in Halifax. http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...derers-grounds

Last edited by shermanator; 09-07-2017 at 03:56 PM.
shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote