View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 02:45 AM   #83
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
But yes, agreed. I think it's a placeholder that CESG wants in there. If the City decides to go ahead with the Olympic bid, a new stadium, or a full refurbishment of McMahon will have to be part of that for Opening/Closing ceremonies. Calgary would then have a stadium that would rival BC Place as the best in Canada, and thus get the WC games.
There won't be a new stadium as part of the Olympic bid. At this point, if Calgary bids, the most likely location for the ceremonies is the Stampede Grandstand. I'm sure if something got built, they'd consider using it, but it's not part of the proposal right now.

For the World Cup, cities who want to be considered for the bid need to declare their interest by September 5. Then, a shortlist will be made by the end of September. From there, the shortlisted cities need to submit their proposals in early January. The final list of stadiums will be submitted to FIFA in mid-March.

Considering it's been two years since the CalgaryNext idea was first presented, and we're not any closer to getting a new stadium, I can't see there being something announced in the next six months that will blow away the bid committee. I don't think saying "we'll probably build something really nice in the next 9 years" will be enough to get Calgary on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Wasn't their a proposed schedule earlier? And in it Canada only got a few games in each of Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal

No further than a group stage either IIRC
There was this speculation from ESPN: http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/...anada-as-hosts

Not really a proposed schedule, just speculation about how it could be set up. It probably is close to what we'll see in Canada: One city hosts 3 games, all in the group round; one city hosts 2 in the group round and 1 in the round of 32; and one city hosts 2 in the group round, 1 in the round of 32, and 1 in the round of 16.

Calgary's best bet is likely to be a basecamp for one of the teams playing in Vancouver for the group round.