View Single Post
Old 05-24-2020, 08:03 PM   #16
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of due diligence is really the key to getting your loved on to a good place. When my grandmother suffered kidney failure a couple years ago, she was on her death bed. Miraculously she survived, but not before suffering permanent physical damage and it also seemed to accelerate her onset of dementia. My Mom and her siblings scoured the city before choosing the residence she is in now.

The easy way would have been to select a place cheap and easy to get into. I was with my Mom checking out some places and I could not in good conscious have left my grandmother in some of those places we saw. I was actually shocked that places like that could exist in Calgary, let alone Canada.

We did our due diligence and found a more expensive place, yet IMO it's pretty decent all things considered. It also helps that my Mom is from a family of 6 children so pooling together money from each family made it possible to get a nice place. But I could totally envision a scenario where it's a single offspring trying to find someplace for their elderly parent and can only afford the bottom of the barrel, so to speak.

Unfortunately my Grandmother's place has had a big outbreak of Covid (40+ cases) so just because you pay for an expensive places doesn't mean it's 100% safe. Overall I do think that our society does need to step up when it comes to caring for the elderly. Both my granmother's are very fortunate to be in the residences they are, but I know that's not always the case with everyone.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post: