View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #1042
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Just for clarity - the difference between 720 and 1080 is the difference between HD broadcast television(720) and Blue-ray(1080) correct?
Actually, most broadcast TV is available in 1080i/p (depending on your hardware, most is 1080i however) nowadays, and is only a few notches below Blu-Ray in bitrate.

That's not to say that some shows aren't compiled in 720p and upscaled to 1080i/p, but the majority (especially those made in the last 4-5 years) are at 1920x1080.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie
Couple things as I wade into the Microsoft slap down thread:

Whether 720p vs 1080p actually makes a difference depends on viewing distance and screen size. For many a gamer it will not make any tangible difference whatsoever. Especially with upscaling.

COD on the PS4 while 1080p native is struggles with frame rate and has noticeable issues in hectic areas. This is a case where a smooth running 720p is a much better experience than an inconsistent 1080p.
The major difference that even the average eye notices in 720 vs 1080 when it comes to 3D gaming, is the level of jaggies (or, aliasing). Anti-aliasing exists on all modern consoles to a degree, but as far as I know, none do MSAA (multi-sample AA, which applies smoothing to transparencies, decals, and particles), and only do 2x FXAA (post-process old style AA that only affects geometric edges, and usually only at a 2x refinement).

2x AA @ 720p is barely worth your time (takes ~8x AA to properly smooth the edge at that res), and 2x is okay at 1080, but 4x is the threshold of smoothness.

For shooters especially, AA allows you to have far more accuracy for distance shooting, and to help differentiate in objects via their silhouettes, since each geometric object retains it's intended detail and shape, rather than all sharing the same jagged edges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post: