View Single Post
Old 04-24-2017, 08:48 AM   #72
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
I have seen a guy who quit the NHL and took his ball and went home like a baby. lmao at you're dumb post above.
I think you have it wrong. This may not be entirely correct either, but way more correct that taking his ball and going home.

Quote:
The NHL lockout ended in January and most players returned to North America from the leagues they were playing in during the lockout. Kovalchuk initially stayed behind to participate in the KHL All Star game. At the time SKA St. Petersburg, the club Kovalchuk was playing for, had an idea that he wanted to stay. They tried hard to keep him, thinking he would just quit the NHL, like some others did.

But Kovalchuk was different. Talk about honor, Mr. Cherry: It is even feasible to say that SKA and the KHL were surprised and found a new level of respect for Kovalchuk, when he told them he would not just quit, but would honor his contract with the New Jersey Devils and would try to find a solution that would take everyone’s opinion into consideration. If that solution would indeed become available.
https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports...173145938.html

What I found most interesting is that a year from now he could come as an unrestricted free agent

Quote:
Ilya Kovalchuk will be removed from the “voluntary retired list” upon reaching his 35th birthday on April 15, 2018, and thereby would become an unrestricted free agent if the winger were to pursue a return to the NHL for the 2018-19 season.
This is according to Bylaw 8.5 (c) and confirmed by deputy commissioner Bill Daly in a series of emails with The Post yesterday in which the NHL clarified Kovalchuk’s status after the Devils voided the remaining 12 years of his contract on Wednesday so he could continue his hockey career in the KHL.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...212054669.html
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote