View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Why are laptop repairs so pricey?

So I have a HP laptop I bought 2 years ago (July 2008) and the other week the fan started to make some funny noises. I tried blowing it out with canned air with no success so I took it into a local shop here in Victoria. Well the guy tells me to clean it it would be $90x3hrs for labor and if the fan is cooked it will be another $150 bucks.

So in total it could cost me $420 to fix a laptop I bought brand new for I think $650. Does this sound right? Are things really this bad or is this guy quoting me an idiot?

I've taken apart computers before and put them back together but never a laptop. How difficult is this task? Would it be worth me trying to take it apart and blow it out properly?

I actually don't have anything on this computer (besides programs) as I save everything on an External HD which is on my network so I'm thinking of just using it until it goes KAAAABOOOOOM on me and buy another one at that time.

Thanks for any advice!
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote