View Single Post
Old 10-23-2015, 11:49 PM   #719
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
That group shot of the law firm looks like the cast of a WB network lawyer show.

Picked up a random magazine, as I do some recycling, and it's a copy of Naked Eye from 2009 (do they still print that?). In it is an article about how Lights (the pop musician) met and signed to her new mentor and manager, Jian Gomeshi, when she was just 16. I couldn't help but cringe.

I really don't care how fantastic the lawyer is. I know a woman that isn't part of this lawsuit that had a run-in with Gomeshi, and there is not much doubt in my mind that in this particular case, the court of public opinion has judged rightly, and if this goes to court it will be an even more ugly story being told.
I've been a prosecutor and defence lawyer.

All the defence needs is a reasonable doubt. That means if the judge feels 99% certain he's guilty, that's an acquittal. Whether that means they were lucky enough to draw the judge that always acquits if judge alone(there are some judges that convict after trial maybe 10% of the time), a few dummies on the jury if a jury trial, or some of the complainants just make honest mistakes testifying which makes them look a bit dishonest.

Especially with all the money that he's paying her, I'm sure she'll dig something up to try to impeach their credibility.

There are no slam dunks in sexual assault cases, none. A lot of very good crown prosecutors in my office when I was in Alberta were like 1/10 or 2/20 in securing sexual assault convictions after trial. It was almost a running joke. When you got a sexual assault conviction it was usually because the defence lawyer was inexperienced and did a ####ty job.

The test that a judge must use when it's he said vs she said and no physical evidence (like pictures or Dan) makes it very difficult to convict when the accused gets on the stand and is very smooth and denies doing anything wrong and has no inconsistencies in his evidence. The judge basically says "I can't be sure he really did it". Of course the judge can't be sure, they weren't there, no one was!

I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if he is acquitted on all counts.

Last edited by Johnny199r; 10-23-2015 at 11:57 PM.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post: