View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 05:42 AM   #40
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I'm with your neighbour 100%. I'm currently in a minor disagreement with my neighbour because he does not want to replace our shared fence that is 20 years old and literally falling down. There is nothing you can do to compel a neighbour to put in their share for a fence if they don't want to.

Did your fence need replacing? If so, then you owe him some money. Obviously he should have talked to you first but WTH are you complaining about? I'd be over the moon if my neighbour handled all of the hassle of making a fence appear between our yards without me having to lift a finger. It can't be hard to work out what materials cost so pay him 50% of that and throw him a little something for his time as well. You should probably include a note of apology while you're at it.

Until you fix that, I say good on this guy for finding ways to screw you over, although I'm sure he'd just be happier if you paid him the money you owe him.
Wow, really? I'm glad I don't live next to you.

Sure it's great that the neighbor wants to replace the fence and you don't have to do anything, but it really should be common courtesy to consult with your neighbour before you expect him to pay for something. I'm not opposed to sharing costs for something like a fence at all, but I would expect that they talk to me about it first. Most people live on a budget and have to plan for major expenditures, and fences aren't cheap. I would be some kind of pissed off if my neighbours just went & built or replaced a fence out of the blue and then handed me a bill for a thousand bucks.

I don't know why people have such a hard time communicating these days. I would bet that 90% of neighbourhood issues could be resolved amicably or avoided altogether if people would just talk to each other.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote