View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 01:38 AM   #38
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I don't think it's petty to not want a broken down piece of junk next to your house. Unless you like living next to an auto wreckers? In my neighbourhood there are several rusted out crap cars in the alley, they just sit there getting in the way and looking terrible. The people that own the places are generally the type that never do anything to improve their property, and are in general just lazy. They mostly sit around drinking beer and act stupid. I'm not saying everyone with a crappy vehicle in their driveway is like that, but often that is the case. (if it's about lack of income, I understand that. But if you can afford parties, beer etc. etc. you can afford to clean up your mess)

There needs to be a basic standard of cleanliness that people should adhere to in a community. If they don't bother with it, then they should be called out. I'm not sure getting the City involved is the right tact, it will just create bad blood. But what is the alternative? Mafia style intimidation? Horse heads in their dining room?

Diplomacy is great and everything, but some people are just a-holes and you will never get anywhere trying to be reasonable. And yes it is all about the money, there is nothing wrong with that. A house is the single largest investment you will likely ever make, it's good to be protective of it and expect people in your community to abide by a basic standard to keep the neighbourhood a desirable place to live.
It's absolutely petty. It's in HIS driveway. He doesn't have cars on his lawn, he as an old vehicle in HIS driveway. The van on the street is another issue.

It's petty plain and simple. Is it an eyesore? Maybe, I'm not arguing that..

The truck is in HIS driveway, and it's not making the neighborhood messy, it's irritating a neighbor.

As I stated earlier, I think lawn ornaments are hideous and they bug me, and I'm worried that if I sell my place a potential buyer will be turned off by my neighbours lawn ornaments.

Oh well too bad, it's MY neighbors lawn and it's not infringing on my property whatsoever

May want to get off your high horse, move to a fancier neighborhood. The fact is YOUR idea of what is a desirable neighborhood is different from everyone else. I don't want to live in a neighborhood where neighbors worry excessively about my every action.

I want to live in a neighborhood where the only vehicles in the driveway are newer than 2005. The others are eyesores.

*for the record, I'm not suggesting that it's ok to have multiple rusted vehicles in your yard, but one in your drive way, well it's up to the owner. Leave it be, unless it has an impact on your yard, or becomes a safety hazard. No I don't have a broken vehicle in my possession either.. LOL...

I just get tired of every person in a neighborhood whining about every little petty issue because it affects their resale value....

There is a similar issue that takes place in a lot communities in the U.S. People have to keep their lawn to a particular standard. They have to use a ton of water to keep their lawn growing and green even though there are water shortages, and the grass they are required to have uses more water than other types of grass (that look just as good). This occurs because everyone is concerned with resale. Obviously you don't want a lawn to turn into a dried up desert, but why not use a more resilient type of grass. Nope not allowed, grasses that aren't as green or a certain shade are an eyesore.

Society is turning into a bunch of wussies...... We are raising generations of whiny, me first, wussies..
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote