View Single Post
Old 02-18-2015, 07:55 AM   #1
MrPlow
Farm Team Player

Exp:
Default Realtor Negligence - Advice

Hi All,

So my wife and found and closed a deal on our dream home. Considering the market, and hearing from everybody to keep waiting we got it for $20K below their original listing price.

The problem is that during the home inspection a problem came up. It wasn’t that big of an issue in my opinion… it was some mildew in the attic due to warm air coming up through the bathroom which causes condensation and thus the mildew. After the home inspection I stated to our realtor that we would like them to fix the mildew using a licensed contractor before our possession date of early April. The problem was that their realtor was either ignoring or was not paying attention to his phone ALL day Monday (date of inspection) and Tuesday (until after the offer closed). The repairs likely will not cost more than $2,000 (some mildew treatment on the 2 square foot portion of wall, and some “flooring/whatever the term is” to cover the space left open during construction + some weather proofing to prevent moisture) but I feel that the realtor was negligent in not being available during the final hours of our deal to communicate this to the sellers. Because we didn’t hear from him with 5 minutes left from closing we decided to waive the conditions and take the house as is. After the fact he told our realtor that “he thought the offer closed tomorrow”. Because of, in my opinion, his negligence the repairs will not be done by the original owners (unless we can work a deal out due to his error

“sorry I thought the offer closed tomorrow”. The guy literally has one job. To sell a house and communicate with the buying realtor. I feel that he was incredibly negligent in not being available and it can potentially cost me thousands of dollars.

All in all, I’m quite happy about the house… and for the price that we are getting it for, I don’t mind making a few repairs. I just find it unprofessional that a selling realtor was not available at the closing time.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by MrPlow; 02-18-2015 at 08:28 AM.