View Single Post
Old 03-03-2017, 10:49 AM   #64
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Korean cuisine has some of the most delicious, comforting, hearty soups and stews.

Budae Jigae (aka Army Stew)
- named after a stew that was concocted with random canned/preserved/instant foods, such as SPAM, hot dogs, kraft singles, canned beans, instant ramen, mixed with vegetables, spicy korean soup base, sliced rice cakes and tofu. This is one of my favorite stews. It's spicy, hearty, savoury. Perfect for a cold day.

Gamjatang (aka Pork Bone Soup)
- pork neck/back bones cooked for hours to create a rich, hearty and spicy broth, combined with potatoes, vegetables. Served piping hot in a stone or clay bowl, served with a side of rice. The pork bones are fall of the bone tender. Topped with ground up parilla seeds (similar to sesame seeds), this soup is my personal favorite.

Vietnamese soups are also some of my favorites. Obviously, pho is a must, and it's already been mentioned a few times, but here are some other Vietnamese soups that I like that my not be as common:

- Bun Bo Hue: spicy broth usually cooked with beef, pig trotters, congealed pork blood, meatballs, and lemon grass, served with thicker rice vermicelli noodles.

- Canh chua cá - Vietnamese sour fish soup. My mom makes this with lots of dill, bamboo shoots, okra, whole fish, pickled greens, lemongrass, tomatoes, tamarind, and garlic. It's delicious served over rice and shredded lettuce.

Last edited by me_dennis; 03-03-2017 at 10:53 AM.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to me_dennis For This Useful Post: