View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #14
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched34 View Post
So, Danny Taylor is getting the start tonight against Phoenix, if he plays well, does it spell the end for Leland? Taylor is 26, and has seen 20 minutes of NHL ice time, 5 seasons ago. Since then he has been nothing more than an average back up in the minors. His best years have been with the Heat, and it appears the Flames management really wants to give him a chance.
I am rather shocked that they are giving Taylor the nod tonight, coming off a win, albeit a shaky one for MacDonald, it's not like MacDonald has been over worked, it was just his first start, I'd have liked to see him again tonight, to see if he is better prepared.
The shake up between the posts for the team thus far is puzzling, obviously Kipper is nearing the end of a great career, but with Ramo on the horizon, I don't see the necessity in testing out every minor league option the Flames organization has. Some big moves need to be made to make this team a contender, and cycling through minor league goalies doesn't seem like the best route to go. I say pick an up and comer, and develop him. Give him the time and trust they deserve, shattering confidence in a young goalie is not going to fair well for the future.
Just my two cents.
I really hope Taylor holds his own, and changes my perspective, but I see this going unfavorably for not only the Flames, but the Heat as well. How does Taylor recover in the AHL if he gets lit up in the NHL. pretty tough to go back down knowing you may never see the big show again.
I guess if you want a serious answer, I'm not sure where you are coming from on the bolded portion. The Flames need wins, and to plan for the future. Hartley wants to see what he has in Taylor, and doesn't want to give MacDonald back to back starts. In my not so humble opinion, there is not much more to it than that. See who is the best, and then go with him, but they cannot do that without seeing what they have.

They tried to do what you suggested with Irving, and were not happy with the results. (Personally, I was a bit fearful of any and every shot on net possibly going in on Irving, kind of like with some of my men's league 'tenders...).

I think your position is a bit too much doom and gloom, in that it is all or nothing. Could be he plays great, could be he doesn't and realises what he has to work on to get back, or, could be he realises he can play really well in the AHL for as long as he wants to. Still not too terrible a gig...
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post: