View Single Post
Old 04-10-2017, 06:11 PM   #1159
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
Can anyone make a recommendation for social deduction games that aren't Secret Hitler and Avalon?
To me you've just eliminated the best of the genre (other than the non-Avalon version of The Resistance).

I personally think Coup is trash (too many kingmaker situations), and Bang is barely a social deduction game (it's usually optimal to not conceal your role) and also not very good. Coup is a bit like "Cheat" where you're not rewarded for calling a bluff, so it creates a situation where everyone thinks someone might be BSing, but it's better if someone else calls it.

Some names I'll throw out there are Battlestar Galactica (much heavier), which is co-op with secret betrayer. Other co-op with secret betrayer games are Shadows over Camelot (which I did not enjoy) and Saboteur (which is pretty light but more invidualistic).

Shadow Hunters might be a good fit. It's kind of similar to Resistance where it's team vs team with some neutrals. Also, Two Rooms and a Boom is one that plays well with large groups, but not so well with smaller ones).

Citadels and Libertalia are games with secret role selection, but role deduction merely helps you achieve the primary primary objective without being the objective itself.

On the lighter side, Love Letter (and its many variants) is enjoyable filler. Similar to Coup but more streamlined.

My local group is big on Ultimae Werewolf (not one night), but this has player elimination as a mechanic.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote