View Single Post
Old 05-15-2017, 09:53 PM   #54
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames in 07 View Post
I think you actually did say we should curb efficiency.
I did not, I'm just trying to illustrate how the way our economies are structured doesn't provide and endless opportunity for job creation.

Quote:
But nonetheless, Responding to your last comment, where do you draw the line between artificially propping up jobs or not? Even by the standard you illustrate above how could anyone possibly know when to throw money at the dinosaur jobs or not? What an awful waste of time that will never be executed well. Might as well spend the money and energy on retraining into areas where labor is actually wanted.
What happens when there are no areas left in need of labour? I'm assuming you are aware that continually moving people to lower paying jobs also has a detrimental effect on consumerism.
Quote:
off topic from the OP I know, but your idealistic view on how economies should work just doesn't fit in the real world. I'm concerned about societies ability to keep enough people employed as you are. Especially in Canada where the labor force is not preparing well for the next generation but to just artificially pretend jobs exist where they shouldn't is a ticket to losing. Every single time.
I'm of the opinion that if a job cannot be replaced by a machine without having another job available somewhere for that worker, it will only benefit that employer in the short term, until there are too many people out of work. If new jobs with equal or better pay can continually be created in other industries as a result of it, then that is a different scenario but I don't believe it to be the case, at least not indefinitely.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote