View Single Post
Old 05-15-2017, 10:49 AM   #23
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
making a lot of money wasn't my point.

My point was, back in the 50's, the auto industry was the biggest employer, and people that were doing jobs that have long been replaced by automation, were making middle or above class wages.

Now, Walmart is the biggest employer in America and people are making minimum wages on part time hours.

Trump aint going to change that by bringing back coal jobs, building a pipeline, and ruining the environment, for sake of the fossil fuel industry making more money.
I agree, the point I was making is that the Walmart workers should have taken their place as the middle class earners, and that Walmart should be paying similar taxes to what Ford used to pay. Instead what has happened is the workers are making next to nothing, while the employer has seen their taxes reduced to almost nothing. Trump promises jobs, but more lower paying jobs isn't the answer. Back in those days the higher tax revenue from businesses was used to build the countries infrastructure, which created good paying jobs, which lead to greater tax revenue and higher consumer spending to keep the economy growing. Corporations were still rich, workers just weren't dirt poor.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote