View Single Post
Old 05-14-2017, 12:15 PM   #565
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooohooo View Post
First time tomato grower here.

I bought some tomatoes from Lowes today, bought some potting soil and vegetable fertilizer.

The plants seem to be out growing their little pots they came in and I transplanted them into larger plants. Anyone know if I can put them outside yet or is this still considered too cold?

Also any tips on growing plants/vegetables would be appreciated. We're looking at starting a little garden eventually.
Tomatoes like warm feet...so containers that are dark...like black or brown. I plant mine in containers with drip holes in the bottom and set the containers in drip trays. Since we are challenged in Calgary for long hot summer days, try to find an exposure that increases the heat and sun exposure.

If you have a sun facing garage and garage pad, that would be perfect. The concrete garage pad will retain some heat overnight so the tomato's feet will be warmer overnight.

Tomatoes also need calcium so plant them with bone meal. The roots should not be directly in the bone meal though...they should be a couple of inches above. Then as the tomatoes grow, their roots will reach down to where the bone meal is. I put in a good handful for a pot that is about 18 to 24 inches in diameter.

Tomatoes also need even watering so in other words, they don't like to dry out and they certainly don't like flooding. Tomatoes also do not like their leaves to be watered so try to water with a wand that you stick under the foliage close to the ground in the container. Water until you see water coming into the drip tray.

If you grow indeterminate tomatoes, they will need staking or a tomato cage.

Hope that helps.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post: