View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #39
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Thanks. So if I just dig a trench and add a layer of gravel, the large stones should stay put? Is it worth tamping down? Wonder if the stones used for the border need to buried a certain amount or just be laid on the surface?
General rule of thumb is an inch buried for every 8 inches above ground. I always increase that to 2 inches if I am around or less than 8 inches.

Dig down about 4 inches, so there is no disturbed dirt, clay etc and put. Couple inches of gravel and put your rocks on that. Then you want to tamp it pretty good, and I'd you are not ia rush you can run some water on it to help it settle, but that's a bit overkill for just a couple inches of gravel, since it would need to dry before laying the other rock.

Once the base is prepped, lay your 'wall stones' trying to overlap them a small amount (smaller behind bigger) so they provide stability to each other. Fill the front with loam and pack it a bit so it doesn't settle, assume you have dirt behind as well, do the same there.