View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 08:24 AM   #144
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Protein is not an issue at all. This is the biggest, dumbest myth about vegetarian diets that keeps getting perpetuated by uneducated people.

Have you ever seen a vegetarian or vegan with a protein deficiency? Do you know what a protein deficiency even is?

It's called kwashiorkor and it is virtually unheard of in the west.

You ever see a cow? An elephant? Do they have protein deficiencies?

If anything, the over-abundance of protein in people's diets are largely leading to the huge health crisis in the western world.

If you're vegetarian or vegan, you only need a B12 supplement. That's it.

PS - the simple fact that you called proteins carbohydrate sources made me LOL
Calm down.

First yes I have seen vegetarians have trouble getting protein. It's like any other diet in the world...you need to eat the right things and a variety of to get the balanced nutrients.

Second I never called protein sources carbohydrates I said many of the ones such as beans can also be high in carbohydrates meaning they are also high in calorie content. Again it's about making sure everything is balanced. Just like undernourished vegetarians exist so to do fat ones. Just like there are undernourished meat eaters and fat meat eaters.

Finally my comment was directed at essential amino acids and that not all protein sources are indeed equal. It isn't just "protein" but the types of proteins and what the foods provide in terms of amino acids, because your body is not able to make some of them. They need to come from your diet.

Also, I'm far from uneducated. Feel free to keep that #### to yourself next time.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post: