View Single Post
Old 03-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #1108
Ziggy Lidstrom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
That may be so, but you RARELY hear about him anytime our prospects are discussed. Even throughout this season, there has even been more of an emphasis on Tyler Wotherspoon from what I have heard and read.

I agree with you in that Joey Leach has a limited offensive potential at the NHL level and his numbers this year are more so an indication of the massive role he is playing in Kootenay. If he can add 10-15 more pounds to his huge frame, I believe he can have fill a nice role at the NHL level within three years.

As for Larson, I am impressed by his speed and work ethic every time I watch him. However his offensive numbers are rather disapointing
Yeah, I understand, but last year he had ten plus goals I think 12, in 35-40 games. I just think he has a pro style game, for the reasons you say. But like you mention about his offence, it may lead to him not getting a contract offered. But I think he could be a blend of Bouma and Moss. I think his style of game flourishes in our system. Then again, this is why i think he's underrated. Leach will always be linked to Reinhart, and with his pedigree as a top WHL dman.

I think he gets good amount of pub for a guy who may top out as a number 4. If he does add weight and improve then retain his speed he could be a shoe in for a pro-career. But is he a Shea weber? shea had his breakout after he was drafted and it wasn't that insane of an offensive year for him. Some guys are just built for a pro-style game. This is why a lot of amateur FA's, not a lot, but a fair number excel in the pros: Boyle, AMac, Gio, Bourque*pre concussion et al.

It's just like football in that guys come from no where often. With games like that with such a high attrition rate, it's a thing where an injury here and an injury there then you're moving up the depthchart. Even baseball with its bautista's are good examples.

Pardon the rant, I'm going out to get after it.