View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 11:33 AM   #34
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Well, the whole story last night was a background story, just on a different character than the ones you named. We may yet get a background story on 'Super Hugger', and a back ground story on the Guilty Remnant (white wearing, smoking cult).

I thought this weeks episode was great, much like the episode framed around the priest, who is of course this woman's brother. I really enjoyed it.

I can however understand why people could get bored or frustrated with this show. It is glacial slow. It also doesn't have a lot of pay off in terms of big, exciting, or even fun/funny scenes. The one thing I do find is it's quite depressing most times. It could benefit from a few laughs because it's constantly depressing, the whole show definitely has a very down/depressing feel. Some of that is the subject material, some of that is the pace, I'm sure some of the mood is manipulated on purpose through lighting, camera shots, editing etc. Which is what you want generally, most shows don't pay enough attention to mood. Just that in this show, it's one kick in the stomach after another. A few laughs to balance things out, or to even give the next kick more emotional punch would help. I totally get what O-F is saying. I would frame it slightly different in that, there is so much tragedy, it makes it hard to care about any of it.

I read a book like that once (not like the premise of the show, just that it was constantly tragic), and I couldn't care for the characters cause it felt like the author was just piling misery upon misery on the characters to make them sympathetic. Well, that's more of a lazy trick than good writing or character building, and can blow up in your face if you use it too much. Eventually you hate the characters for being too wussy, or not giving you anything worthwhile to read about. So I totally get why people would feel that way.

All that said though, I'm not at that point yet. I actually find some of the characters pretty interesting. The priest and his sister most of all. The lead, the cop is decent, and some of the bit players are pretty good. It's hard to find the GR interesting as the never say anything. Kinda more of a plot device than a good character. Anyway, for me, at least right now, the acting still pulls me in, the characters seem to be pretty fleshed out in a lot of cases, IE how people might be behaving in a world like that, and the overall story arc still intrigues me.

Last edited by Daradon; 08-05-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post: