View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Notes: Ken King (Iginla, New Building)

Thought i'd pass along some highlights from a speaking engagement with Ken King (this is all paraphrased so I hope it's reflects what he said well):

On Iginla: Paraphrased "We didn't invest 80 Million dollars in Iginla to send him off to another team to win there", He also mentioned that they don't owe it to Iginla to have him go win somewhere else [Edit: The tone here seemed directed at fan sentiment, and not anything about dealings between the club and Iginla], he should be here to help us win. Would like to see Iginla be a first ballot hall of famer (and I think the inference was that he play his entire career here).

I don't think he could really say anything else, but he did make it a point of addressing it. I'm sure they could change their mind, but it sounds like the plan is to stick with #12 til the end. I always expected this, as I don't think winning the cup is the most important thing for Iginla.

On New Building: Not a lot here, except that they don't expect to be making any kind of announcement until late fall or beginning of 2014. He did mention that they have been working with the oilers for 4 years, and purposely wanted them to go first for a variety of reasons (that he didn't mention). He said the new facility will be much more than a multi-purpose rink, be the most trans-formative thing the city has seen in 40 years, and has to make the city a better place (or why bother doing it). Suggested the Facility is more for Calgary than just a new rink for the team. He also said they have 4 potential locations, and they think it should be an urban facility.

On Kiprusoff Paraprased: "We notoriously lie about injuries so that coaches can't coach against us, and on the flip side for the potential element of surprise (if a player happens to return early)" Basically no estimate on the injury can ever be taken at face value. He did however qualify that since Kiprosoff is so naturally flexible it made the initial diagnoses harder to make, because all his joints are so loose anyways.

Last edited by Ace; 02-20-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 75 Users Say Thank You to Ace For This Useful Post:
atb, Badgers Nose, BigDogg, BigT112, calgaryred, Canada 02, Captain Hair, cgy2london, chalms04, CofR, corporatejay, cral12, DazzlinDino, Dion, Displaced Flames fan, Domoic, DownhillGoat, drewboy12, DuckmanX, East Coast Flame, EYE_Overstand, Fire in the disco, Flamboyant 14, flamesfever, Flash Walken, Flickered Flame, Freeway, gargamel, getbak, GoFlamesGo89, Gondi Stylez, GreenHardHat, handgroen, HELPNEEDED, Iceman90, Itse, Iveman, Jarome, jayswin, Jbo, Joborule, Johnny Rotten, ken0042, killer_carlson, kyuss275, Lanny'sDaMan, Lil Pedro, mac_82, Miniac, MolsonInBothHands, MrMike, Mustache, Nehkara, neo45, OBCT, oxygen, Phaneufenstein, Phanuthier, Pierre "Monster" McGuire, rayne008, Rubicant, smalltownref, squiggs96, StAlbertFlame, Stealth22, sun, the2bears, the_only_turek_fan, Thor, troutman, united, vilzeh, Vinny01, Yrebmi, zamler