View Single Post
Old 10-16-2015, 12:58 AM   #220
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever_Iggy View Post
Uber Driver's story: he's a mechanical engineer that is going to try to supplement his income on weekends and during the Christmas party season. He finished his shift at work and turned on his Uber app (after receiving texts and emails from Uber Calgary asking that all drivers get online to help make the launch successful). He said within 10 seconds, my request came up and he accepted. I was his first Uber fare and he was nervous that the City would be doing sting operations. He did say that Uber assured their drivers that they would cover any bylaw fines (kinda like Car2Go covers stupid downtown parking tickets).

Was it perfect? No, but it was the first day and it'll get better (just like it has in other cities). Will I use it again? I will never ever use a traditional cab again.
I'm also in a city that's had Uber for almost 2yrs and have used it abroad. It will now be all about what is the most convenient for yourself.

Walking out of a bar at close and getting an Uber is easy. If you are the type that only likes to get to the airport 1hr early and your flight is at 6am, well then a cab is probably the way to go as you can't pre-order with Uber. You can get around this as there are Uber drivers with cards, so you call them and they show up at a certain time, you turn on your app and book them immediately outside your house.

The best is if you leave your phone in the car (has happened a few times). Its an easy call to the last Uber driver you had (you've got his number or can get it easy) and give him $20 for his time to come back and drop it off. No problem. Uber drivers are normal people (like your Mech Eng.) so they're super easy to deal with.

I'm so happy my hometown finally got Uber, Calgary really does deserve it as I've been one of those guys trying to upstream my fellow Calgarians on frosty Halloween/Xmas Party Season/NYE nights and it was unacceptable.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote