Thread: Todd Button....
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2024, 09:43 AM   #61
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Button “destroys” McDonnell in 2016, 2015, and 2014, though, and you’re citing years where the Flames has 6 picks in the top two rounds compared to Dallas’ 10.

Dallas has absolutely done great in the draft, but you’re just telling the story you want to tell.
No, I'm just looking at recent years worth of work where Dallas really built their team. Dallas' "model" has been cited by Conroy, and I'm saying Dallas' model is just "be excellent at drafting", and then giving examples where the Flames were clearly not as good as Dallas at doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I also think calling Bourque better than Zary is a bit absurd. Zary significantly outpaced him in the AHL this year and last year, and Zary spent most of this year in the NHL while Bourque was still developing in the AHL, where his NHLe was lower than Zary’s output pace in the NHL.

He’s literally shown nothing that suggests he’s the better player over Zary.
I specifically say better at 30 than Zary at 24. I'm not saying Zary > Bourque, I am saying given draft position Bourque seems like a hell of a find at 30 compared to Zary at 24. Both look like good picks - but finding the (potentially) better player at 30 vs. at 24, is a sign that Dallas is better at drafting than the Flames in recent years. These are the differences between good teams and bad teams.

Zary AHL: 140GP, 38G, 62A, 100PTS
Bourque AHL: 147GP, 47G, 82A, 129 PTS

Bourque, being 4 months younger has produced better at the AHL level.

So yeah - I think Bourque at 30 is better than Zary at 24 - and generally, I'd say Bourque's production at the AHL level could indicate he's a better player than Zary (at the AHL level). We'll see what happens at the NHL level.

Dallas is a better drafting team than Calgary is. It's why Dallas is a better team than Calgary is. I'm not sure why we should get defensive about that, and the Flames should be (and undoubtedly are) looking at ways to improve that performance.

Bader's entire thread is a good read, but this stands out:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1785374410314248261

Last edited by ComixZone; 05-03-2024 at 09:52 AM.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote