View Single Post
Old 05-02-2024, 08:05 PM   #3558
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You’ve been presented multiple sound arguments for it, and you’ve responded with bordering ignorant hand waving about your rights being watered down and how it’s important just the way it is because it’s written there.

If you admit that you can’t come up with a logical reason why citizenship is the line and are contradicting yourself this much, then maybe it’s time to admit you might be wrong and the issue is actually one that should be explored?

If the fact that the right to vote being enshrined in the charter speaks to it’s importance, then it would stand to reason that you shouldn’t even have to ask what happens if it passes nor should you care if it helps the city. In fact, if you had bothered to read the purpose of section 3, you’d realize you’re speaking directly against it:

Voting rights can’t be both incredibly important and a waste of time. What is written in the charter can’t be incredibly important while the purpose behind it something you contradict at will. And it doesn’t take a legal expert to understand that the main thrust of section 3 isn’t limiting the right to vote to citizens, it’s the right to vote itself.

Overall, you seem to be grasping at straws here.

The charter is very clear that voting is an important right for CITIZENS and is in fact the only right that is EXCLUSIVE to citizens. The authors of the charter thought citizenship wa a pretty freaking big deal relative to voting but somehow I’m hand waving and grasping at straws. Take it up with them.

And lol with the argument that it won’t pass so don’t worry about it. I’m not worried about it at all I just think it’s a waste of time, and more importantly supports the growing public view that this council is out of touch with what the voters think is important. Read the room guys, you’re going to get us something worse next election.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote