View Single Post
Old 05-02-2024, 01:43 PM   #2602
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1786050359053652114

This is the type of mistake I hope we don't make again.

This guy has also talked about working with the Flames on prior drafts.

He also has some interesting models on stars, and who will be stars going.

His model is also the reason I have a lot of hope the Oilers won't win the cup because they don't have the star power outside of the 2 guys.

What mistake?

Stankoven definitely looks vastly more promising. Lots can still happen.

Also, is it always a "mistake" when you don't draft the best available player in every round? That seems like you expect a draft to work out perfectly. These are 17 year old kids for the most part and there is a tremendous amount of noise. What you should be doing as an organization is going back and reading notes and adjusting as some of your players bust and some other considerations that you had were bypassed in favour of those busts.

With that kind of an argument, was it a mistake that Calgary took Jiri Hrdina in the 8th round of the 1984 entry draft, allowing the Kings to snag Luc Robittaile 12 spots later? Do you know what I am getting at?

I might be wrong here - and I apologize if I am - but I think you are trying to insinuate that the Flames are passing on undersized players in favour of larger ones. If you just look at how many undersized players have been taken by this organization throughout the past decade, then that's where the argument should die.

As for some other posts:

Silayev would NOT be rated this high by basically every major publication if it was for his size alone, or for him being a defence-ONLY prospect. His offensive upside is QUESTIONABLE, not completely absent. It is questionable because the KHL is notorious for not giving opportunity to young players, and it is a lower-scoring league as is anyway. You can't begin to undestand his offensive ability by stat-watching. You have to watch video on him. The more I see, the more I think there is something more to his offensive ability. He makes great passes and seems to have decent vision, and he has a nice shot that he often gets through. I think he could actually be competent offensively - competent enough to be on a top pairing without needing him to play alongside an offensive rover-type like Tanev should play with.

Regehr was a critical piece for the Flames for a long time and was easily a top-pairing guy here. At 9th, I would be fine with that. However, it sure seems that Silayev is ahead of where Regehr was at the same age. I get (and actually share) the notion that the Flames need an offensive catalyst this draft either in a C, W or D, but I would also be very happy in drafting this guy at 9th. Very few outlets have him lower than 9th, and most of them have him going before. He could be a player who, in his prime, is killing the other team's offence and helping Calgary transition from defence to offence quickly. Maybe he isn't Chara (though he may be), but maybe he is like a more agile Regehr with better puck skills and a better wrister (Regehr had a great slap shot that he never used much).

I quite share Bingo's attitude here - almost every player in the top 12 I would be excited to get this year. There are some that I would prefer (cough Tij cough), but there isn't a single one that I outright wouldn't want. There are some that I have questions about - for instance, Lindstrom who I think will be a winger in the NHL rather than a centre since I think he is not dynamic enough with the puck and suffers from tunnel vision too much, and has question marks about his back. However, even then, if the Flamed draft him, I would assume that they took a deep dive into his injuries to make sure that he is ok, and I would be super excited to see his speed, size, phenomenal shot and mean streak develop in Calgary. Catton migh also be a winger rather than a centre, but he is a so dynamic. Parekh has question marks with effort (defensively), but if is at the Fox/Hughes level, that's something you can work with. Yakemchuk I have issues about with his skating - slower offensive defencemen may have more trouble translating in the NHL, but that's quite the skillset. The list goes on, really.

I prefer Tij because I feel you just know this kid is going to be an important player. He may not be the best player out of the bunch in the first 12, but I think his bust potential is incredibly low. This kid has a high floor, and the more you watch him the more he looks like he is taking more steps and becoming more dynamic. Having the support of Jarome really helps - having a HHOF tell him: "When I first started, I started questioning my ability to score at this level, and though that maybe I would end up as a role player. I kept at it, and the scoring came along with it. Maybe it will for you too, so don't stop working." --- I totally picture that kind of a conversation happening through the trails and tribulations of these kids developing over the next few years.

Just my thoughts anyway. Only time will tell who was right and wrong.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: