View Single Post
Old 04-26-2024, 06:26 PM   #263
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I need to start something a bit later this spring. Had surgery a week ago to repair the ventral hernia from my abdominal surgery 18 months ago. Another 30 staples in my belly will take a bit of time to heal before I can get started.
I turned 60 in January and have now dropped almost 40 lbs since my high (low?) point last August. I'm happy with my weight now, and my cardio was good prior to this last surgery, so now I'm not exactly sure where or how to begin a fitness regiment for the rest of my life. Am looking at exercise/fitness to compliment, not rule, my life. Any thoughts on where/how to start would be appreciated.
I'm the furthest thing from an expert. I started at the gym at 41. Part of me is shocked I'm still going.

Here's what I did, it may work for you, it may not.

1. I signed up for a membership. (As dumb as that sounds, it's actually huge).

2. The YMCA (where I joined) has a program called Y-Thrive. It's a session of basic introduction. The kid that took me around was half my age (later found out well under half my age). But showed me three machines, and helped me see that no one really cares who's there and everyone kinda does their own thing. It made me realize I could actually do this.

3. I worked my schedule around it. My job is bacially structured out of office work in the morning, in office work in the afternoon. I put the gym in the middle. Out of office, gym, in office. If you can structure your day that it natrually fits in somewhere, that helps. Otherwise I'd never be able to find the time.

4. Don't worry about anyone else, hell I don't even worry about a program. I ask myself what I want to do today, I mix it up, I don't worry about a plan or program or system. I'm sure I'd see more progress if I had a dedicated specialized plan, but really I'm seeing progress and something is better than nothing. I'm not getting in shape for anyone else, I'm doing it for me. And frankly the fact my kids are getting bigger but are getting easier to pick up and play with is the best result.

Just remember it takes time. People are supportive. You'll find your own little groove. If you want gym buddies, you'll make them. If you want to be friendly but keep to yourself (like me) that's cool too.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post: