View Single Post
Old 04-26-2024, 02:27 PM   #14814
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I’ve said I won’t be attending if I’m up against a deadline. But if I routinely opt out of something my manager feels is important and everyone else on my team is obligated to do, it won’t be a great look. I guess you have a very different experience of corporate norms. Because in my experience “I’m not doing the thing everyone else has to do because I’m special” does not go over well.
If you don't feel comfortable enough going to your manager and saying "I don't think my (our team) attending meeting X is very productive because of x, y, z" then you don't have a very healthy relationship with your boss. I will say I understand this plight as I've been in that situation before, but that's a clear sign it's time to change that situation.

I think most people vastly underestimate how good conflict is in a workplace. Being a "yes person" all the time thinking "I can't go against what my boss says - they're my boss!" is surely making your life worse than it needs to be and the company probably suffers as well. Grow a little bit of a backbone and start pushing back. The most likely outcome is people will respect you and instead of complaining on the internet and feeling miserable, you'll likely drive welcome change and feel better about yourself.